Read the article “The Relationship Between Cell Phone Use and Academic Performance in a Sample of U.S. College Students” by Andrew Lepp, Jacob E. Barkley, and Aryn C. Karpinski.
Write an essay in response to one of the prompts listed below. The essay should be between 350-500 words in length and your essay should meet the following criteria:
- Have a clear introduction that states the main theme or thesis of the essay
- Have a clear beginning, middle and end.
- Makes explicit reference to both the reading and to your own/others experience with the topic.
- Provide enough detailed discussion of ideas so that a reader could learn something significant about your thinking on this topic
- Use proof reading and editing effectively so that your surface error rate (grammar, spelling, punctuation) does not interfere with a readers understanding.
Your essay should address one of the prompts listed below.
- The article discusses both the positive and negative effects of cellphone use in the classroom. Based on your own experience, which position do you agree with? Be sure to make direct reference to the article.
- According to the article, “multitasking has emerged as a possible explanation for the negative relationship between electronic media use (including cell phone use) and academic performance.” Compare or contrast your experience with multi-tasking. Be sure to make direct reference to the article.