47 Course Summary and Journal and Wiki Assignments: Social Development
We are now at the end of our course readings. We started the course by learning about the field of child development and the main domains and issues that we study. We learned about our theories and research methods. Then, we learned about genetics and prenatal development. After laying this foundation, we examined development from infancy through adolescence within the physical, cognitive, and socioemotional domains. I hope you have enjoyed reading and learning the material in these six modules. The library and Internet are rich with information to help you learn more about child and adolescent development in the future. Happy reading! (1)
Module 6 Journal Assignment
This journal assignment aligns with Learning Outcome 3.
The purpose of this assignment is to apply course material to your own development. This will allow you to better appreciate how the information that we learn in this course relates to everyday life.
You only need to complete one of the three options for this journal.
- Option 1: What was the parenting style of your primary caregiver? How did this influence your development?
- Option 2: Did you date during middle school or high school? Regardless of whether you answered yes or no, how do you think dating or not dating influenced your socioemotional development?
- Option 3: Were you bullied growing up? Were you a bully? How do you think being bullied or being a bully shaped your socioemotional development?
The journal should show evidence of self-reflection, be free of writing mechanic issues, and provide references in APA format. This assignment is worth 75 points. Please refer to the rubric below for specific requirements for this journal. (1)
Module 6 Wiki Assignment
This Wiki assignment aligns with Learning Outcome 3.
Collaboration is important for learning. In this course, we will use our class Wiki as a way to collaborate. Our Wiki page will allow us to meet asynchronously. We can share all types of files. It will allow us to learn from each other and the resources that we find.
Wiki Collaboration Instructions
The Wiki page has been set up to be open 24/7. This means that you can work whenever you want to. Your mission is to find a course related resource for module six and share it. You should briefly describe the resource and explain how it is related to module six and the milestones achieved in the social development domain. The same resource cannot be shared more than once — so checkout what is already posted. The research can be a website, blog, YouTube video, TedTalk, research article, news article, SlideShare, PowerPoint, or Pinterest board, you get the idea. In addition to posting a resource, you must also say what two other resources posted by your peers you found most educational and why by commenting on their posts. All work should be free of writing mechanic issues. This assignment is worth 75 points. (1)
Human Development Capstone Project | Due
This capstone project aligns with Learning Outcomes 1–3.
For this capstone project, you need to choose a specific culture and/or time period to research and relate it to human development. The goal of this project is to apply course material to contextual considerations in human development.
Previous projects have examined the Salem Witch Trials, ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, Colonial America, the U.S. during the 1920’s, the Trail of Tears, and modern Japan.
Once you choose the culture and/or time period you want to study, you will need to research your subject, and then either write a paper or create a PowerPoint presentation including your voice addressing the below points. Remember, the goal of this project is to apply course material to contextual considerations in human development.
- Set the stage by providing background information on the culture and/or historical time period you have selected to study
- Discuss life and human development in this culture and/or time period
- You will need to apply material from every module to your human development in your culture and/or time period
- Provide at least three interesting facts and/or one case study about the culture and/or historical time period
- Use at least five academic sources
- Use APA format for your in-text citations and references
There is neither a minimum nor maximum word count. The length should be determined by addressing all of the requirements. Remember, this is your chance to shine and take pride in your work, and not just do the minimum.
This capstone project is worth 100 points. It is due in Module 6. (1)