In a well-constructed initial response utilizing the knowledge you gained from the initial readings as well as your own experiences, discuss the following question:
Speaker Critique Discussion
Watch the TED Talk by Chimana Adichie, The Danger of a Single Story, then answer the following questions on the discussion board.
- Purpose of speech: Why is the speech being delivered? Who is the intended audience, do you think? Is this a persuasive speech or informational?
- Briefly discuss the speaker’s voice quality. Discuss rate (how fast or slow), emphasis, intensity, vocal distractors (uh’s, umm’s, etc.), use of pauses, etc. Is the overall quality effective? Why or why not?
- How does the speaker begin? What is used to gain attention? Tell us the quote or opening lines. Is it an effective opening?
- What are the main ideas the speaker is presenting? Briefly outline them.
- How does the speaker conclude? What is used to give a memorable ending? How does the audience respond?
- What ONE positive technique or skill can you take from this speaker and use in your own speeches?
Please post your response on the Module 9 Discussion Board. In addition to your initial response, please reply to at least two of your peers as well.