31 Discussion Questions for “Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin
- What is the significance of Mrs. Mallard’s “heart trouble”?
- What is the significance of freedom in the story? How does the author portray this idea?
- Describe Mrs. Mallard’s reaction to the death of her husband. Why do you think she feels this way?
- What does Richards represent in the story?
- What does Josephine represent in the story?
- What view of marriage is portrayed in the story? Can this view still apply today?
- Describe Mrs. Mallard’s journey in the story.