- Roman Civilization to Include
- Age of Augustus
- Etruscan Civilization
- Roman Art such as Imperial busts
- Roman Architecture such as the Pantheon
- Roman Philosophy
This module introduces students to Roman artistic and political expressions that developed between the Etruscan era and the fall of the Roman Empire. Students will determine what cultural artifacts such as the Colosseum and the Baths of Caracalla tell us about their historical contexts. Students will demonstrate understanding of cultural expressions by noting the similarities and differences between Roman culture and Etruscan and Greek culture. Students will recognize the contribution that Romans made in architecture, particularly with their use of the arch and concrete. Finally, students will also demonstrate proficiency in critical thought by assessing whether the Romans were more maintainers or inventors of culture. (1)
Learning Outcomes Related to this Module
- Demonstrate proficiency in critical thinking
- Recognize the relationships between cultural expressions and their contexts
- Understand cultural expressions
- Interpret and evaluate cultural artifacts and/or their contexts for significance
- Recognize the important contributions of the classical world; understand and analyze specific primary texts from the classical world
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Sort events in historical order from Roman civilization.
- Identify the cultural influence of Etruscans and Greeks on Roman civilization.
- Identify the historical developments that led to the rise of the Roman Empire.
- Identify pivotal moments during the course of the Roman Empire.
- Identify artistic and architectural developments during the Roman Empire.
- Identify the function of visual propaganda in the Roman Empire.
- Identify factors that led to the fall of the Roman Empire.
- Identify major Roman figures and their achievements. (1)
- Learning Unit – Ancient Rome
Assignments | Learning Activities
- Review Learning Unit
- Participate in Discussion 5
- Complete Timeline Assignment 5
- Complete Assessment Module 5