- Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic Greek Civilization to Include
- Archaic, Classical, and Hellenistic Architecture A
- rchaic, Classical, and Hellenistic Art such as the Parthenon
- Archaic, Classical, and Philosophy such as the Pre-Socratics and Socratics
- The Greek City States
- The Persian and Peloponnesian Wars
This module introduces students to artistic, religious, and political expressions within Greek culture that developed between the Archaic Greek era to the end of the Hellenistic age. Students will determine what cultural artifacts such as the Parthenon and the Boxer tell us about their historical contexts. Students will demonstrate understanding of cultural expressions by drawing distinctions between the different eras of Greek art as well as the different Greek philosophical schools. Students will recognize the contribution of the Greeks on the democratic style of governance. Finally, students will also demonstrate proficiency in critical thought by assessing whether writing or metallurgy was a greater factor in the development of Mesopotamian civilization. (1)
Learning Outcomes Related to this Module
- Demonstrate proficiency in critical thinking
- Recognize the relationships between cultural expressions and their contexts
- Understand cultural expressions
- Interpret and evaluate cultural artifacts and/or their contexts for significance
- Recognize the important contributions of the classical world; understand and analyze specific primary texts from the classical world
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Sort events in historical order from Greek civilization.
- Identify geographic regions impacted by Greek culture and civilization.
- Identify features of pre-Archaic and Archaic Greek civilization and culture.
- Draw distinctions between the various Pre -Socratics, Sophists, and Socratic schools of thought.
- Identify characteristics of the Athenian democratic system.
- Identify historical moments that resulted in the rise and fall of Athenian influence in Greece.
- Draw distinctions between Classical Greek and Hellenistic Greek sculpture.
- Identify major Greek figures and their achievements. (1)
- Learning Unit – Greek Culture
Assignments | Learning Activities
- Review Learning Unit
- Participate in Discussion 4
- Complete Timeline Assignment 4
- Complete Assessment Module 4
- Submit Capstone Project | Draft Paper