The Earth and other bodies in the Solar System have been pummeled since the Solar System’s formation. In this lab, you will examine provided meteorites and compare them with terrestrial rocks commonly mistaken for meteorites. Impacts occur on Earth and throughout the Solar System all of the time. You will explore the effects of impacts by simulating impact events, and specifics around impact events. (1)
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Observe and report back on a meteor shower
- Describe and compare meteorites
- Replicate impacts on Earth and other planets (1)
The material in this module includes content designed to meet the following course outcomes:
- Communicate scientific ideas through oral or written assignments.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically.
- Demonstrate the ability to use scientific and quantitative reasoning. (1)
Learning Unit 8
- Meteors, Meteorites, and Cratering Activities
- Lab 8 Quiz (1)