Astronomy Laboratory 12 – Hubble’s Law
Edwin Hubble, of the Hubble Space Telescope fame, developed a relationship between an object’s distance and the velocity it appears to be moving away from us that is still in use today. In this lab, you will explore Hubble’s Law and implications of the law in understanding the Universe. (1)
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Calculate the age of the universe using Hubble’s Law
- Model the expanding universe
- Make hypotheses based on the model and calculations (1)
The material in this module includes content designed to meet the following course outcomes:
- Explain and apply major concepts in astronomy including planets, satellites, stars, meteors, galaxies, and theories of the universe.
- Demonstrate knowledge of scientific method.
- Communicate scientific ideas through oral or written assignments.
- Interpret scientific models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics, draw inferences from them and recognize their limitations.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically.
- Demonstrate the ability to use scientific and quantitative reasoning. (1)
Learning Unit 12
- Hubble’s Law and the Age of the Universe Exercise
- Expanding Universe Model Exercise
- Lab 12 Quiz (1)