4 Dimensions of Wellness
What is Wellness?
Wellness is being in good physical and mental health. Because mental health and physical health are linked, problems in one area can impact the other. At the same time, improving your physical health can also benefit your mental health, and vice versa. It is important to make healthy choices for both your physical and mental well-being.
Remember that wellness is not just the absence of illness or stress. You can still strive for wellness even if you are experiencing these challenges in your life.
What are the Eight Dimensions of Wellness?
Learning about the Eight Dimensions of Wellness can help you choose how to make wellness a part of your everyday life. Wellness strategies are practical ways to start developing healthy habits that can have a positive impact on your physical and mental health.
The Eight Dimensions of Wellness are:
- Emotional—Coping effectively with life and expressing emotions in an appropriate manner
- Environmental—Occupying pleasant, healthy, and safe environments that support well-being; positively impacting the quality of our surroundings (including protecting and preserving nature)
- Financial—Achieving satisfaction with current and future financial situations; handling finances wisely
- Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills; being open-minded
- Occupational—Personal fulfillment and enrichment from one’s work and/or responsibilities
- Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and adequate sleep; avoiding unhealthy habits
- Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and sustained support system; having positive relationships
- Spiritual—Having a sense of purpose and meaning in life; establishing peace, harmony, and balance in our lives
Learn more about the Eight Dimensions of Wellness by watching the video below:
Your Own Views on Health and Wellness
Reflect on the following questions:
- What does health mean to you?
- How important is health to you?
- What are some of your healthy habits?
- Which dimensions of wellness do you need to work on the most?