96 The Impact of Meteorites
Meteorites can cause damage upon impact, from minor to significant. Examples of three major impacts causing significant damage in the last 100 years are included below.
- Tunguska, Krasnoyarsk | Krai, Russia
- June 30, 1908
- An air burst comet or asteroid impact damaging over some 2,150 square kilometers or 830 square miles of forested area. No meteorites were ever recovered.
- Sikhote-Alin, Primorye | Russia
- February 12, 1947
- A brighter-than-the-sun fireball announced the arrival of an air burst impactor, showering some 28 tons of meteoritic iron shrapnel on the Sikhote-Alin Mountains.
- Chelyabinsk Oblast | Russia
- February 15, 2013
- 1,491 people were injured and over 7,200 buildings damaged by the air burst from this impactor, estimated to weigh 10,000 tons; numerous stone meteorites were found.