In this module, we examine how cultures differ and how these differences affect what is viewed as appropriate and effective communication. All of the foundational concepts that we use to differentiate cultural perspective from each other are discussed here. In addition, we focus on how cultural identity affects communication, and we offer guidelines for demonstrating empathy and respect when communicating with culturally dissimilar people.
- Understand how communication, culture, and diversity are connected
- Define diversity and cultural awareness
- Hofstede’s cultural taxonomy
- Hall’s cultural taxonomy
- Gender influences on communication
- Barriers to communication, culture, and diversity: stereotypes, prejudice, discrimination.
- The importance of cultural competence when communicating globally
Chapter 18 from Business Communication for Success
Discussion Question 2
Instructions: Please post your answer to this question, using this link. Do not use attachments. Please write in complete sentences. Be sure to edit, spell check and answer all parts of the question with details, explanations, and examples highlighting the course material and your own insights. Remember – this is your chance to show that you have read, understand, and can apply the course material. Your answer should be at least 200 words in length.
DQ 2: How does one’s cultural identity (or sense of belonging to a particular group) affect our attitudes towards others?
Journal Activity 2: Understanding Your Cultural Values
For this activity, you have to interview the oldest member of your family and then try to understand your family’s influence/effect on the formation of your own cultural values. Please answer the following questions:
- When did you ancestors come to the U.S? (If your ancestors were native people, then when did you first learn about your ancestors’ culture(s)?)
- Where did they come from?
- What were the reasons for their move?
- What language(s) did they speak?
- What difficulties did they encounter?
- What were their occupations before they came, and what jobs did they take on their arrival?
- Did they change their names? Why?
- How has your family status changed through the generations?
Write a 2 page (typed, double-spaced, font Times New Roman, size 12) summarizing your findings.
Submit your paper in the Assignments tool. You will attach the file to the assignment and submit. All papers should be in either Word .doc or .docx format. If you are using another word processor save it as an .rtf file. If you use a Mac, please add the 3-character extension (.doc, .docx).
Take the Module 2 quiz. This quiz covers Chapter 18 from Business Communication for Success. There are 10 multiple choice and 10 true and false questions based on your assigned text readings. You will have 45 minutes to complete the quiz, and you may take the quiz twice. The higher of your two scores will be recorded as your grade.