After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Byzantine art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this era
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Byzantine art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Byzantine art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What are the characteristic features of Byzantine art?
- How does Byzantine art look different from Early Christian art and Greco-Roman art?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- apse mosaic
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.