76 Study Guide: Meiosis
Objective: Explain how eukaryotic organisms sexually reproduce.
Use this page to check your understanding of the content.
Study Guide Questions
- Carefully compare and contrast mitosis and meiosis.
- What is the very unique thing that happens between homologous chromosomes during prophase I? Why is this important?
- Be able to determine the number of chromosomes AND the amount of DNA in a cell during meiosis. Know when the “reduction division” occurs.
- Given any diagram or picture of a cell in any phase of meiosis or mitosis, be able to identify the phase.
- Where does meiosis occur?
- Be able to provide a rationale for WHY meiosis is necessary.
- Clearly explain how meiosis results in genetic diversity.
- What is independent assortment? When does it occur? How does it increase genetic diversity?
- Be able to draw a picture of independent assortment.
- What is crossing over? How does it increase genetic diversity?
- Be able to draw a picture of crossing over.