This course is taught using a mastery approach. It was designed to give you the best opportunity for success. Your instructor will guide you through the process, but below are some important things to keep in mind as you begin.
- Each course is built around Competencies, which are important skills or knowledge that can be used in the real world
- Each Competency has enabling Learning Outcomes that teach you what you need to know to master the Competency
- Each Learning Outcome is supported by Open Educational Resources, which are a range of materials that will help you build your skills and knowledge of the learning outcomes.
- There is a graded Quiz for each Competency
- You must attain 80 percent on the quiz to demonstrate mastery
- You can retake the quiz as many times as you need to get to 80 percent
- If you are struggling to pass a quiz after three attempts, your instructor will provide you with support and guidance to help you be successful on your next attempt
- There are also graded Performance Assessments for groups of Competencies
- You must attain 80 percent on the Performance Assessment to demonstrate mastery
- You can resubmit the Performance Assessment as many times as you need to get to 80 percent
- If you do not achieve 80 percent on a Performance Assessment, your instructor will provide you with support and guidance to help you be successful on your next attempt
How to Approach this Content
Start by reflecting on the learning outcomes for each section. Do the concepts seem familiar? Plan to spend most of your time on concepts that are new or complicated. Always review page headings, and pay special attention to introductory and concluding sections. When you have finished a section, review what you have learned. The more you stop and ask yourself whether you understand, the better prepared you will be to demonstrate mastery in an assessment. Take notes on your reflections and reach out to your instructor if you need help with difficult or confusing concepts.