Goals — This course should:
- provide you with the confidence to use written communication in your work and personal experience beyond college,
- acquaint you with the concept of a writer-reader relationship and identify the need for active participation from both writer and reader,
- teach you the skills needed to successfully communicate in a modern world through written materials.
Objectives — If you effectively complete readings, practice exercises, workshops and assignments, you will:
- learn to identify and select many types of writing frequently required in a variety of careers,
- practice audience analysis and develop effective communication strategies for a variety of audiences,
- determine your purposes/objectives and develop skill in composing and revising on the computer documents with formats and language appropriate for those purposes,
- demonstrate in your writing the effective communication principles encouraged by professional writers,
- achieve a greater awareness of the importance of selecting and integrating graphics with written communication,
- improve your ability to differentiate among and to use facts, inferences and judgments.